Experience, trust and hard work are the reasons
behind our track record of success.

What if the drunk driver who hit me has no insurance?

On Behalf of | May 24, 2017 | Drunk Driving Accidents |

A drunk driver has struck and injured you. Your insurance company says it will help, and although it extends an offer, the dollar figures are nowhere near what you need.

You feel like you are out of options, especially because the other driver lacked insurance.  However, before you accept any settlement offers, consider a few things.

Insurance is not all you can pursue

The other driver may not have had current insurance, but he or she could still have financial means or assets. Perhaps the insurance policy lapsed, for example, or an uninsured teenage driver is from a well-to-do family. You may be able to seek compensation for your pain and suffering through these assets.

Your own policies may be able to help more

There is a proven record of plaintiffs who were able to get adequate compensation for a personal injury despite the other party lacking insurance. For example, a lawyer may be able to bring more evidence to light for the insurance company to consider, or a lawyer could negotiate with the hospital to lower the medical bill.

The principle of getting more from your own policies is good to keep in mind even if the other driver has insurance. The fact is that this person’s insurance policy may still not be enough.

Get informed as soon as possible

Your first priority, of course, is to focus on your physical injuries and your recovery. As soon as possible, though, you (or a trusted person) should get in touch with an attorney. This person can start negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf and ensure you get a fair offer. The attorney can also explore other options such as suing the drunk driver.

One thing to do is to always seek medical attention, even if you think your injury is minor and does not need treatment. Many injuries sustained in car accidents worsen over time, and it is imperative to seek compensation while you are still legally able to do so.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network